What to Expect
Appraisals While You Wait
Examination and necessary tests are performed while you watch. Your appraisal is a bound report and includes a full description, a digital image and a plot of all diamonds over half a carat.
You will walk away with your jewelry, and barring anything extraordinary, you will receive the bound report at the end of your appointment.
Jewelry Appraisal Information
Your jewelry appraisal is professionally prepared to the highest standards.At San Diego Gemological Laboratory, your appraisal is performed according to the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP)and the National Association of Jewelry Appraisers. We can provide reports and help establish value for a variety of purposes including insurance, estate, divorced property settlement, forced sale, non-forced sale, private sale, equitable distribution and more. We work by appointment and in most cases the appraisal is completed and in your possession at the end of your appointment. Each piece of jewelry is weighed, measured, and described in detail.
- Gemstones are identified, graded, measured, and their weights calculated.
- Metal content is determined.
- All diamonds are described with weight, shape, color, clarity. In diamonds over 1/2 carat the internal characteristics of the diamond are diagramed (plotted) and further details regarding proportions are included.
- Colored gemstones are described with weight, shape, color, clarity with further detail when appropriate.
- Pearls are identified, graded and measured.
- Watches are described with brand, model, movement, & metal, with further details when appropriate.
- Your appraisal includes enlarged digital color photos of the items printed right in the report.
- Photomicrographs (photos through the microscope) are available if needed for insurance claims, etc.
- Your appraisal explains the grading systems used.
- An explanation of the definition of value is included, along with the instructions for the appropriate use of the appraisal document.